There are a variety of ways students can make-up credits or acceleration for graduation. Before beginning any outside make-up packet or course, the student should meet with their counselor to ensure that the course will fulfill graduation requirements and to discuss all options.
Most common ways to earn credits outside of normal school hours:
- Riverton High Night School (Make-Up Credit Only): We have begun a new credit recovery option after school. Students are able to make-up a quarter credit in Math, English History or Science by attending a 14 day make-up session from 2:45 pm to 4:15 pm at the high school. There is no homework given and it is free. Students are required to attend 12 of the 14 sessions to get credits. Please see you counselor to see about the next time there will be a session.
- Riverton High Online Credit Recovery (For Make-Up Credit Only): We have online credit recovery classes for most of the courses required for graduation. Online credit recovery costs $35 per .25 credits. These courses are available to students from mid-September until the end of April. Credit Recovery courses do not carry over into the Summer. Students must see their counselor for a referral before they may begin an online credit recovery course.
- Valley High Summer School (For Make-Up Credit Only): Valley Summer School is available for all of the courses required for graduation. The cost is $45 for registration *plus* $35 for each .25 credit course that is taken. There is a session that runs in June and another session in July. Classes run for 14 days for an hour for each quarter credit that is being made up. Attendance is critical! Students will be failed on the second absence. Riverton High may be offering a Summer school option this year at the school. Stay tuned for more announcements if this happens.
- Northridge Learning Center: (Can be used for both Original and Make-up Credit) Northridge Learning Center is a private packet company that offers packets that align with the core requirements of the state of Utah and the Jordan School District. Their packets cost between $50 to $60 dollars for .25 credits
- Utah Students Connect: (Make Up Credit Only) Utah Students Connect is a credit acceleration and credit recovery program that is made up of a consortium of six school districts. Students must sign up with their counselor in order to take any of the courses being offered.
- BYU Independent Study: (Can be used for Original Credit) BYU Independent Study is a program that offers courses which can be used for make-up credit or for original credit. These courses all award .5 credits. Most classes cost $156 dollars for each .5 credit course. There are some best value courses that can be taken for elective credit that cost $56 dollars for a .5 credit course. BYU Independent Study Courses require a proctored test, that can be taken for free on the BYU Campus.
- Granite Testing Center: The Granite Testing Center offers students an opportunity to take tests for credits. You must call them for an appointment at 1-385-646-6042. There is also an application that must be signed by a parent and your school counselor.